Latest from Year 2
Welcome back to School, we’re so glad to see all of your smiling faces!
The Classes and Staff in Year 2 are…
2G – The Bees
Teacher – Mrs Greenbank
Teaching Assistant – Mrs Illsley
2S – The Ladybirds
Teachers – Mrs Pearson (Mon – Weds) and Miss Paterson (Weds – Fri)
Teaching Assistant – Mrs Woodward
Our start and finish times for the day are currently 8.50am and 3.10pm. Please adhere to social distancing guidelines in and around the school grounds at these busy times of the day.
Our indoor PE day is Wednesday, all Year 2 children should come in to school wearing their indoor PE kit every Wednesday please.
Our outdoor PE day is Friday, all Year 2 children should come in to school wearing their outdoor PE kit every Friday please.
Reading books are collected daily to monitor reading throughout the week. Your child’s reading book will be changed on their designated reading day and their comprehension will be collected on this day too.
Spellings will be handed out in a homework book each Friday and should be returned the following Thursday.
You can find lots more information related to our current procedures on the School Website and the School App.
Most class and year group related messages will be sent via dojo so please check regularly as this is usually our first point of contact.
The Year 2 Team
This half term we are learning about:
- English: Little Red Reading Hood
- Maths: addition, subtraction, shape, fractions.
- Science: materials, habitats, scientific enquiry
- History: the Great Fire of London
- PSHE: money sense
- Music: composition
- DT: free standing structures
- Computing: basic skills and introduction to algorithms
- RE: Islam
- Indoor PE: gymnastics
- Outdoor PE: learning skills for ball games such as defending/marking/passing
During each week we also incorporate the following into our days:
- Phonics/Spelling lessons – our Year group is split up into 4 or 5 smaller groups that all work on different phases of phonics or spelling rules.
- Fluent in 15 – where we recap basic maths skills to consolidate learning.
- Handwriting – we are now moving onto the beginning of practising joins.
- Times tables – at the moment we are consolidating knowledge of 2x, 5x and 10x table. Some of us are also starting our 3x and 4x tables.