MFL (Modern Foreign Languages)
We teach MFL to:
- Develop the skills of ORACY, LITERACY and INTERCULTURAL UNDERSTANDING.
- Develop the skills of KNOWLEDGE ABOUT LANGUAGE, and LANGUAGE LEARNING STRATEGIES, which should be transferable regardless of the language being taught.
- Help reflect the richness and diversity of the world we live in.
- Reinforce skills being taught in other subject areas, such as literacy, maths, PE, and geography.
- Developing their thinking skills, awareness and understanding of gender, cultural, spiritual and moral issues.
Learning another language presents opportunities for the reinforcement of knowledge, skills and understanding developed in other curriculum areas.
MFL themed days, such as the European Day of Languages each September
Weekly MFL lessons in KS2, with some teaching in EYFS and KS1 where appropriate.
A variety of resources including story books in French; interactive websites; songs, games, and rhymes; visits from family members to share home languages, culture and traditions.